In the big light (Mama C is interviewed)

July 23, 2011

Marcel waiting for the photographer/ Mama C and the Boys

An interview with Mama C is online at Psychology Today. The piece feels like an arrival on many levels: personal voice, competency on a subject, and clarity of my beliefs and values. It is a well crafted piece that will reach a very large audience. I began blogging three and half years ago. I feel wildly grateful (and hot and sticky in my 99 degree house)  to my readers, to the medium, and to my own determination and hard work.

1. July 23, 2011 4:55 pm

Congrats Mama C!

2. Kim Van Pelt permalink
    July 23, 2011 5:46 pm

Bravo! Intelligent, thoughtful and honest. I really feel there are many people adopting trans-racially who are not giving any thought to race issues and do feel love is enough. As a single mom of two AA boys i can’t tell you enough how much I enjoy seeing and hearing your voice in print and on the internet. Keep up the great work!

Kim

3. July 24, 2011 5:44 am

what a wonderful interview! congrats!

4. July 25, 2011 12:17 pm

Honest and inspiring. Thank you for sharing!

5. July 25, 2011 6:08 pm

Congratulations!!
    Race is something I have to deal with as well but I don’t know if it’s to much of an extreme. My kids’ father was half black, half white full Hispanic. I’m white Hispanic. My oldest is the darkest of the three with the younger two being lighter. I am the lightest. They talk about it all of the time amongst each other and family members– my daughter once point-blank asked my husband’s mother why she was brown and not white like her. I don’t see it as a huge issue in my community because there is a lot of diversity here. Interestingly enough though, my Eldest tends to gravitate towards the kids of color in his class more than the whiter kids even though they are almost all Hispanic. I just take a backseat and watch. It’s interesting to me to see how they unfold without my intervention.

6. July 27, 2011 9:25 pm

Great interview. Nice to see your voice OUT there.