Today is Sam’s birthday for the under eight set. He’ll be six in a few weeks, so his buddies are coming over today to celebrate. Yes, today, as in after school. I have a new birthday party strategy which works so well. Throw a party from 5:30-7:00 on a Friday night. Parents bring their kids, you have pizza, and cake and something in the middle. Our “in the middle”is a performance and tutorial by local juggler Matiss. Six kids, a juggler, and 18 home made juggling balls. Parents sip a something, and actually talk to each other, and kids do their kid thing. Best part? You don’t give over a weekend to worrying about a birthday party, or keeping a house clean…
Since I’ve been too busy to do much of anything but wrap his presents in towels (juggling toys–like diablos are not easily cornered with paper) clean the bathrooms, and ask other people to help decorate while I’m at work today, I dipped into the archives. This interview between me and Sam is almost two years old. I’ll ask him the same questions this weekend, and see what he (and the little guy) want to add.
I asked Sam the questions, his answers are recorded here verbatim. (March 2009)
1. What is something I always say to you? Don’t do that
2. What makes me happy? When I say I love you
3. What makes me sad? When I say I want someone else to be my mommy.
4. What was I like as a child? You were like me.
5. How old am I? Twenty
6. How tall am I? taller than a lot of people
7. What is my favorite thing to do? Go for a walk.
8. What do I do when you’re not around? That’s crazy.
9. If I were to become famous, what will it be for? Writing a book or a poem.
10. What am I really good at? Making things happen for us.
11. What am I not very good at? Yelling.
12. What do I do for my job? Help people be nice, make good choices and learn to write and read
13. What is my favorite food? Eating all the time
14. What makes you proud of me? When you read your poems in front of people with a microphone
15. If I were a cartoon character, who would I be? Darth Vader
16. What do you and I do together? Special things without my brother.
17. How are you and I the same? We play basketball.
18. How are you and I different? Our skin.
19. How do you know I love you? I am in your heart.
20. Where is my favorite place to go? Do you go anywhere?