Mama C is going to Congress

March 19, 2010

After reading my application, my essay, and speaking to my principal, I was chosen to be the representative for the state of Maine at the Parenting Magazine’s Mom Congress in May, 2010. The agenda is packed with:

a series of presentations and panel discussions led by some of the most notable names in the education field.  Secretary of Education Arne Duncan will be leading a Town Hall presentation on Monday morning, and leaders from the PTA, the George Lucas Educational Foundation, the National Education Association, PBS, Working Mother Media and other education and advocacy groups will be leading sessions throughout the day.  On Tuesday, attendees will work with editors from Parenting magazine to create a “Lesson Plan for Change”, a guide to empower parents nationwide to become more involved in their children’s schools.

The event is being held at Georgetown University in conjunction with their Continuing Studies Program.  This is an opportunity to bring Mama C’s voice, and professional expertise to the table. Attendees will include mothers representing every state in the country, and Washington DC.  As I have let the news of this honor set in, I realize that I am going to need your help. I am going to be asking for your best resources, articles,  words of inspiration and encouragement. I want to attend this congress with my ducks in a row, my resources readily available, and my message clear.

Which message Mama C?  As I see it, there is a reason that I have been chosen, and I am going to speak up where the need is greatest. As my readers you know what I hold dear. As my supporters you know that my passion is clear. I am being invited to work with mothers from around the country, and join with them to map out our next steps for inviting all families into the educational process, and making certain that all families feel invited to join in too.

The universe is clearly opening a door with doormen on either side for this one.

1. March 19, 2010 3:17 pm

Wow, congratulations! What an honor, Catherine!
    And how great for them – and all of us – to have your voice in the mix.

• March 19, 2010 3:37 pm

Thanks Annie! It is indeed feeling like a LARGE honor. I am excited. I am also feeling daunted by the grand importance of this brief moment. I don’t want to miss it.

2. March 19, 2010 7:24 pm

Big Congrats! That is huge. What a great time to be in the area! I used to work for a Congressman on Capital Hill and I can tell you the energy is infectious. I know you will do us Mommas justice – on all fronts. Again BIGGG congrats, lady!!

3. March 19, 2010 8:47 pm

THANK YOU T! I need that vote of confidence, and appreciate it. It feels super important.

4. March 19, 2010 9:28 pm

Wow– my response is like others’– how great is that? Really great! For you and for us. Laura

5. March 21, 2010 3:13 pm

WOW! They couldn’t have chosen a better spokesperson. Congratulations, C.

• March 21, 2010 7:25 pm

That is high praise from you Susan! I’m taking the honor seriously, and looking forward to the work!

6. March 22, 2010 12:31 am

I think I saw something about this on CNN this morning but then again that was before I had my morning coffee so who knows lol