No he didn’t

March 17, 2010

Sam: Mom?

Me: Yes, Sam.

Sam: I think I have just figured something out.

Me: Oh? What?

Sam: Sometimes it’s really hard being a mom.

Me: (Howling in laughter.) What brought you to this conclusion?

Sam: (Shaking his head up and down, with his face looking all knowing..) Well it seems like it would be frustrating when your kids don’t listen to you.

Me: It is.

Sam: I know Mom. I’m understanding you. And if you ever want to talk about it, you can.

Then he went into the living room, picked up his guitar, his slide and started playing a “Blues song for Mom.”

I blurted out; My days are full, and my nights are long. This is my son’s Blues song for Mom.

Too loud! Screams Marcel.

Sam smiles, looks up at me and says, Mom I think you need a good night’s sleep. Then he adds all quietly, as if talking to his guitar and not us,  I wonder if B.B. King has a mom who is frustrated too.

1. March 17, 2010 1:20 am

C’mon, did he SERIOUSLY say all of this? I love it! I’ll have to meet Mr. Sam one of these days, He’s a clip!

• March 17, 2010 1:37 am

Liz-he is my fact checker! I read every post I write about him to him. We changed a verb tense because of the way the last line was delivered. He doesn’t say much, but when he does.. I have little notebooks all over the place. We are going to write a book together after I finish the one I’m working on!

2. Joanna permalink
    March 17, 2010 1:20 am

That is priceless. He is something else, and you capture his personality so very well. 🙂

• March 17, 2010 1:38 am

I wish I could have captured his little face all old man like knowing, just slowly moving up and down. Thank you!

3. March 17, 2010 1:26 am

Wow, that Sam of yours has definitely been here before. Many, many, many times before. Such an old, beautiful soul!

4. March 17, 2010 1:38 am

Single Mama NYC YOU are right. I forget that sometimes, but you are so right.

5. March 17, 2010 4:27 am

Have to agree with Single Mama! That little one is something else and what a cute picture!

• March 17, 2010 10:10 am

Awww! And thank you. That picture was taken last summer, and is actually going to appear in a piece that I wrote for Adoptive Families Magazine due out in May.

6. whichprinter permalink
    March 17, 2010 10:21 am

He’s always thinking of you.

• March 17, 2010 10:24 am

Wow Eddie. The simplicity and power of that statement boggles me really. It was like he had been brewing this one for awhile. He was perched up on the back of the blue chair just thinking, and I was folding the laundry. Marcel was throwing everything on the floor that I had folded…

7. March 17, 2010 3:28 pm

I love this little man.

8. March 17, 2010 10:03 pm

That’s a great story. Doesn’t it warm your heart when kids spontaneously show great empathy and grace?

9. March 18, 2010 1:34 am

I love this beyond belief! What a great guy you have. I bet he plays a mean slide.

• March 18, 2010 1:52 am

Yes-he REALLY does play a mean slide. Apparently Uncle has been showing them a BB King video produced by Sandra Boyton that he loves. Who knew?