Acceptance 101: A Writers Residency in April

February 10, 2013
Celebrating Mama

Celebrating Mama

It’s official. I’ve been accepted to my first writer’s residency in the spring. I sent a selection of poems from my manuscript to the director along with the application and imagined myself arriving there a few months from now with a bag of books, my cozies, my laptop, and “the binder”.  I heard the sound of the ferry as it pulled away leaving me and the other nine writers from all around the world engulfed in a late morning sun drenched anticipatory fog… Then the daydream would be rudely interrupted by the sound of “Mom, Marcel just gave me a wedgie!”  No matter what happens, I would think at those moments the possibility of a week away in my own room, with just my writing and the sound of the waves crashing outside my window was a delicious gift.

To that end I also have to admit the sending of the work out into the world, to be deemed worthy or not, was a test of my work, and a test of my readiness to be seen. Would I make it into the “maybe next time” the “to be invited” or the “to be fed to the gerbil’s cage” pile? (Now isn’t that an image for a short story? Lines of poetry all over the gerbil’s cage?)   So when I read the line; I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your poems from “Black  Enough” and am looking forward to meeting you and to talking with you more about your work I felt my skin expanding.

My work is ready.

So, am I?

____

Are you interested?  I came across this post this morning by Tracy Marchini on looking for a writer’s residency while searching residencies as a topic. It looks super useful, and I hope to return to it to learn more.

Have you?  Have you been to a retreat or residency? What was your experience like? Would you recommend it? How did you prepare?

About these ads
  1. February 10, 2013 4:18 pm

CONGRATS!!!! Can’t wait to hear about it via your posts as you start this wonderful journey!

2. February 10, 2013 6:52 pm

Congrats! You are such an inspiration. I have a friend who goes away to a place called The Porches in Northern VA every few months to just write (not a residency but you get the point!) and the thought makes my heart pound. How delicious would that be… but at the same time, I am so scared of leaving the boys. Again, you are an inspiration – you have two crazy monsters too – I def have to look into it!

3. Erica King permalink
    February 10, 2013 11:19 pm

So proud of you and excited for you!

4. February 11, 2013 1:38 am

This is wonderful news! I know I am one of many who can’t wait to see what amazing work comes out of this.

5. February 11, 2013 9:30 am

Wow, congrats! Can’t wait to hear how it goes. Sounds amazing xx

• February 11, 2013 10:38 am

It is feeling more exciting every day. I’m really inspired to get PREPARED and use the time as well as I can. How to not put crazy pressure on myself will be the challenge I sense..

6. February 11, 2013 9:44 pm

So proud of you.

Love the image of Sammy yelling about the wedgie. Made me giggle.

7. Nancy N permalink
    February 16, 2013 6:55 pm

That’s fantastic news. I never doubted your talent for a minute. Glad the world will get to hear more from you now as well

8. February 23, 2013 9:12 pm

Congratulations! I look forward to hearing about your experience.